Thursday, July 2, 2009

vegetables


Cinderella pumpkins are getting quite big. This photo was taken 3 days ago, and after all the rain it's even bigger now. How does one know if a pumpkin is ready to pick???Ants are very attracted to the okra flower buds. It doesn't seem to be doing much harm, but is curious.
I have chopped off the older sections of my two remaining zucchini that were no longer producing viable flowers. The new stems seem to be hanging in the through the rains, but I am not sure if we will ever get any more zucchini out of them or the three new plants.
My husband's method of protecting a baby watermelon from the floods.
Reisentraube tomatoes, I get one or two ripe ones a day now.
Black plum, also one or two a day.Edamame are coming along and you can see sweet orange II and Chadwick's cherry tomatoes in the background. Of the cherry tomatoes I think the sweet orange II and gold currant are the best. I am not sure about Reisentraube because my younger daughter eats them all.

3 comments:

shinshu life said...

ha ha! You used more black sheeting than I have and I thought I'd used heaps. DO you think it really makes a diference? Much as I was sceptical I have to admit my tomatoes are doing really well. Hmmmm. You don't have a tunnel house over your tomatoes and yet they don't split? I've only ever grown them here with a tunnel house as I was under the impression all the rain would cause them to split. Interesting.....

Love the pumpkin- just like the storybook.

illahee said...

lookin' good!

Xana said...

It certainly makes a difference in the weeding, which is worth it in my books. And there is less mud splash on the low hanging tomatoes, though it doesn't entirely eliminate it. I should probably do a tunnel house, but couldn't be bothered. Are you talking about the plants splitting or the fruit? The tomatoes are all popping with the torrential rains, but the plants are fine. Well, they are dying, but not of splitting, I think it is due to the %$"$%$ yasude nesting in their roots. I will think about a tunnel house in the future, like maybe when the kids are grown, and I am retired!